Poisoning rats, mice, and other rodents.
Killing rats, leaving bodies anywhere. New rats will keep coming.
Orlando, Florida Pest Control
|Poisoning rats is a great idea!!
Rodenticide is a poison bait
which rodents eat. Most rodenticides are
anticoagulants which mean they prevent the clotting
of blood. The material works by affecting
different components of the animals body.
In effect, the rodent looses it's ability to have it's
blood clot. Once an artery or vein ruptures, the animal
dies. This can happen from a cut or when the animal
sustains an internal hemorrhage. Either way, it
has the potential to lead to a mess.
does not recommend using poisons because:
1). new rats will consistently take the place of those killed
rats will die in your walls and attic where you cannot find them.
to find rodents randomly. Make sure to keep them
away from children and pets. There are risks
using any rodenticide and you should
be aware of them. No rodenticide causes the animal
to seek water or to die without smelling. No
product has ever had this capability nor has any
manufacturer claimed such a feature. Though we may
never know for sure where this old wives tale originated
from, it appears that pest control companies started
telling customers this would happen when rat poisons
were first introduced. Customers were not likely to
let poison be used if it was commonly known that
death would be random; telling people rodents would either
seek water outside and die or dry up and not smell
when they deceased was readily accepted by consumers.
Regardless of it's origins, countless mice and rats
have died in attics, crawl spaces and behind walls.
Once dead, their bodies were left to decay. Odors
would permeate into living areas and persist for
|Traps vs. Poison
- Trapping will get results the first night set. Poisoning typically takes a month before a difference is noticed.
- Trapped rats die in the trap. Poisoned rats can die anywhere. Poisoning takes the chance
of causing an odor problem as body decomposes and then leaving rat remains permantly inside home
- Both techniques need to be performed with great care as both can be harmful to children and pets if poorly placed.
Consult a professional to ensure safety!
- Both techniques only represent part of the solution. They both need to be performed in conjunction
with finding how the rats entered the building in the first place and sealing those areas permanently.